• Check out our latest articles. Look in the ABOUT section to join!
The Student News Site of Union High School - WA

Titan Tribune

53°

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Trick or Treat at the U

Aren Maas

Recently, Union opened its doors to children from all across the community for the second time following COVID-19 to host the “Trick or Treat at the U” tradition. Megan Baxter, a Union leadership instructor, began the new tradition last school year, inspired by her previous high school experience. She also said how it was a fantastic opportunity for high school students to engage and connect positively with the community, as well as a way for Unions clubs, and sports members to get together to serve one another and our community.

Mateo Perez

We got the opportunity to hear from the parents and their perspectives on Halloween as the kids walked up to each of the classes in the 200 building. Many parents learned about the event from friends, relatives, and church members who pitched it as a simple and safe way for the kids to come over and do some trick or treating. Even those who do not celebrate Halloween have joined together to offer their children a wonderful time by knocking on classroom doors, selecting tasty treats, and, of course, showing off their extremely scary costumes. Though Halloween is mostly for children aged 5 to 12, the holiday is enjoyed by people of all ages for its delicious candy, cringe-worthy yet terrifying movies, and, of course, the small laughs and smiles of the kids everywhere who get to dress up as their favorite characters.

Mateo Perez

High school students played an important role in making “Trick or Treat at the U” a huge success. They joined together to spread the Halloween spirit and provide a helping hand to their neighborhood. Many of these students used it as an opportunity to gain community service hours for their clubs and organizations, in addition to enjoying the spooktacular season. Their eagerness to help and readiness to volunteer demonstrated their commitment to make the event one the children and parents who attended would remember. It shows how students can spread joy and togetherness during Halloween.

Mateo Perez

“Trick or Treat at the U” has become a beloved event that creates a sense of community and togetherness. It’s not only about the candy and costumes; it’s about the delight on the parents’ faces as they watch their children have a good time. The event gives a unique chance for high school students to engage with the community, as well as for groups and sports teams to join together and serve. It’s a reminder that Halloween is about more than just scary masks and tasty treats—it’s about making connections and spreading joy. This Union tradition is more than simply a Halloween party; it is a celebration of community solidarity and optimism. Halloween has passed but now all of our stomachs are full of sugary candy.