• Check out our latest articles. Look in the ABOUT section to join!
The Student News Site of Union High School - WA

Titan Tribune

52°

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Skyview vs. Union (Varsity Girls Basketball)

The winter season means many things at Union High School, but one of those things is the re-emergence of the basketball season. Our high school prides itself on its competitive sports, and the girl’s varsity basketball team does just that. On January 5th, the Union Titans faced off against the home of the Storm, Skyview. With 11 wins in their pocket and only one loss, the game was looking promising.

During the game, the girls exhausted the three-point line. Many of their shots were taken from that line. It was noticeable that a lot of the shots were made in the outer wings. This shot is a hard one to make, considering there is no backboard, and the depth is hard to eye. However, #11, Rowyn Riley made this shot, sending a loud ruckus through the crowd. In addition, #14, Taylor McCullough also settled down 3 points with a satisfying swish. Not only this, but the powerful defense and passing firmly contributed to the overall score. Union finished off the 2nd quarter leading 28 to 18, a nice 10-point buffer. However, the tables later turned.

Point-guard #10, Brooklyn Haywood contributed several points while even playing through a nosebleed. Despite their efforts, a shift in score took place during the 3rd quarter, leaving Union trailing – 38 to 39 to a disheartening buzzer-beater from Skyview. After that shot, the Titans took on a whole new magnitude of ambition. Aggressive and well-played steals were confounded by #11, Rowyn Riley, and #0 Carli Christensen. The fast-attack offense was a major contributor to the scoreboard. Explosive layups by #23 Zoey Robard added many points. Working together the Union Varsity girls closed the gap and then some, ending the game leading 56 to 50.

Overall, the team took another win under their belt. Coach Mills commented on his hard-working team, saying they worked well together. However, he did mention that the main weakness was rebounding. “We were awful on the rebounding, we were kind of embarrassing in that regard.” But, in contrast, he said when the team was down by three, they “put our foot on the pedal” and made some major plays, which saved the game. The team is expected to face off with more competitive competitors in the latter half of their season. So, to join in on the action, come out and support them.

Meanwhile, girl’s varsity basketball wasn’t the only team winning; so was the support squad. Cheering on from the sidelines, the Union Cheer Squad did a great job bringing up the energy in the gym. Simultaneously the Union Band moonlighted playing the YMCA, Eye of the Tiger, and a band favorite: Low Rider. Mr. Siess, who oversees the basketball band said that, unlike the football band, “it’s a lot of hurry up and wait.” It’s important to place the timings of songs strategically in between pockets of rest during the games. The band is shown in the limelight during their scattered performances. All in all, go Titans! When the next game swings around, have some fun and show up.